Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Darkness

I was really hoping that I would wake up today energized and ready to kick off a new year of progress and positivity. Well, I woke up feeling discouraged, lonely, unloved, fearful and emotional. Way to start off eh? I have learned that I can't always pull myself out of my negative feelings and sometimes I must just sit with them until they just pass, much like a storm. The difference today is - I know it will pass. My feelings are not pleasant however, they don't terrify me anymore. They are never final. We have bad days and bad weeks - the key is they won't last.

The next thing I am learning about my feelings is not only will my feelings improve, but they are GOOD for me. They teach me things. They bring about needed change. They keep me from becoming stagnant and complacent. They teach me not to accept unacceptable behavior. All of these things my God knows and gives me my feelings in order to grow me. They are a gift. EVERY feeling has a purpose. As hard as it is to recognize, even the negative, discouraging feelings we experience have a purpose and a place. It is not only ok to feel them; it is NECESSARY for growth and ultimately happiness. There must be darkness experienced if we are to appreciate and enjoy the light.

A few reminders are helpful when I find myself in a negative space. First of all, I need to remind myself of the kind and gracious God that is looking out for my best. I must remember that there is never anything that happens TO ME only FOR ME. Even the things that seem to be going all wrong are examples of things that my God is using FOR MY BENEFIT in the long run. So even when things are really shitty they just are what they are - but never happening to me and ultimately happening for me. This is simply the universe's way of ebbing and flowing along our journey towards our purpose. There is no need to fight it or control it, because whatever is happening is on my side and is to be embraced.

So what do you do with your negative feelings and bad days? Do you turn them over to a higher belief that God is working EVERYTHING together FOR YOU? Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel approaching? Can you appreciate the purpose of your darkness in your life? I can't say I'm totally there yet - I don't really enjoy feeling crappy and emotional, but it is something to work on and something to think about. Let me know how you handle those days where everything just seems to go wrong at every turn. I'd love to know - defytheaverage@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment