Thursday, August 28, 2014

Master or Slave

Today, I want to talk about a very scary issue that has caused so much damage and grief in my life. That topic is Finances. Throughout the last year I feel like I have gained so much clarity about finances in my own life and how it fits into the bigger picture.

My experience with money has been mainly bad. It has been used as a tool to manipulate me, control me, and punish me. It has been stolen from me and it has been used to take advantage of me. And there has never, EVER, been enough of it. In working with my mentor, I have discovered that I have a huge resentment toward money and I hate the fact that it can affect my life so much. So, how to unravel all of these feelings and uncover the all of the positive that money can bring...

Money is simply an extension of self. Read that again. It is not bad, good, or moral. It is simply a manifestation of our decisions, discipline, and priorities. Often, when there is chaos and turmoil going on within, it will show in our finances. So it was for me. I had poor boundaries - I was stolen from (over and over). I had low self worth - I spent more money trying to rescue others than on my own self care. I had low self confidence - it was easy to manipulate me with money and hang it over my head. I felt powerless and helpless over my own money and future, therefore I manifested poor spending habits and choices. There are other examples but these are the most prominent. Now, imagine what happens when those inward battles begin to shift. Boundaries are set. Self care becomes a priority. Self confidence happens. Empowerment happens. And now, the finances start to look a little different...

"Money is an excellent slave or a horrible master."

Cleaning up my insides feels good and so does cleaning up my finances. It is hard being patient for change to take place in the area of financial success. Although attitudes and choices can change fairly quickly, finances often take years to clean up. You can dig a hole of debt in a year that can take ten years of dedication to pay off. Whatever the individual case may be, financial discipline is an opportunity to develop character and patience. It is also an opportunity to see how rewarding money can be. Money is unruly, but once I determined to refuse to be ruled by it, my life (and my money) changed.

I have been surprised to find that the abundance of money does not produce contentment and happiness; rather it is the lack of need for it.

When I am taking excellent care of myself and working on myself, I do not have the urge to shop for things I do not need. I do not care to indulge in needless food or unhealthy random purchases. I don't have to have a Starbucks coffee just because I left the house. I don't have the impulse to buy something simply because I haven't bought anything in awhile or because I am simply in a store. I cannot count the times I have recently walked into a store, grabbed a cart, looked for an item that I couldn't find, and then I was ok to WALK OUT WITH NOTHING. A few years ago I would have made sure to buy something just because I was in the store. Sometimes, I didn't even like what I was buying. Today, my financial wellbeing is more important and rewarding. And it feels so good.

Today, I can honor myself through paying off debts and regularly paying myself (saving). I don't have to be dependent on others because I have planned for the future. I don't have to worry about people taking advantage of me because I have the ability to say "no" when something doesn't honor me. I don't have to rescue others with my money because I don't have to prove I am a good person that way. I don't have to spend in order feel in control of my life because today I make empowered choices that don't make me feel helpless. I can't say that money feels entirely great yet, but it is feeling better and better. One day, I expect to have a fantastic and healthy relationship with money and my relationship with myself improves.

What has money helped you discover about yourself? Is your relationship with money damaged, or have you successfully developed a loving interaction? Is money your master, or your slave? I would love to hear your thoughts below or in a message at defytheaverage@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment