Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Changes, Honesty, and Acceptance

Life is fluid. Changing. You will never step into the same river twice. And our journey through life demands a constant will to adapt. This requires honesty and unwavering dedication to see reality for what it is, instead of forcing a fantasy that will never be. We all have those fairy tales and dreams we are fighting for, and sometimes, telling ourselves they are real is the best we can do. Once we can peel away a layer of our fantasies and step out of our illusions for just a second, that is where the change has a chance to begin. We must be aware of our reality and what is true before we can take action.

Throughout my life, I have had moments where I am barely hanging on and moments where I am unshakable. I have been unspeakably happy and I have been wounded and devastated. Despite all of my efforts to force my own will and dreams upon life, it has always had a plan of its own. My part is to open my arms with gratitude and flow with the direction that is revealed to me, no matter what that direction is. It requires an honest look at reality, acceptable of that reality, and a will to work on myself and take action. I never know what is coming next. Sometimes, I am shocked at how blessed I am. Other times, I must grieve and labor to accept the things revealed.

There are so many things that can threaten the life I think I want. There are money problems, work problems, family problems, conflicts, and personal struggles that can all upset my idea of "perfection" and "happiness". I have felt pretty good, at times, with pushing through these difficulties and enjoying the journey. Life has given me a greater challenge recently and I am having trouble accepting it. It is scary. It is threatening. It could change my life - change me - significantly. I have two people in my life, who I dearly love, fighting for their lives. I am powerless over health. I do not get to choose whose heart beats, whose blood pumps, or which medicine will work. I only get to observe life and enjoy good health while it is given. I have taken it for granted in the past. I choose to relish it fully in the future.

We don't get to edit our time on this earth or rewind time lost on things that didn't matter. Time is constantly moving forward and we can choose to let it pass by, or stay in tune with each moment, cherishing those we love.

What takes your energy each day? Is it work? School? Worries? Money? Do you fully enjoy your children, family, and loved ones? Do you give your own life your best, or what's left?

Start the conversation below or send me an email at defytheaverage@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment