Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pace Yourself

Recently I have found myself feeling anxious and a little unmotivated. This is strange to me because I have a great desire to change many things in my life and I know that I have the drive it takes to achieve everything that I want. That's when it hit me. I often confuse feeling unmotivated with feeling overwhelmed. I have this weird tendancy to shut down and freeze when I don't feel capable of accomplishing what I have put on my plate. Once I feel overwhelmed, the very next thing I will experience is hopelessness and sabotage. It's like clockwork every time. Now that I know this about myself, it's time to break the cycle and push forward.

What is it that causes me to get overwhelmed and short out? Trying to achieve every goal I have, all in one moment. When I choose to do it all RIGHT NOW, I set myself up for burn out and feelings of being overwhelmed. It is great to see things that need to change, but it is quite another thing to physically tackle changing each endeavor. There is a reason God gave us a whole life to learn and grow. He never intended for us to figure it all out at once. Sometimes, He even intends for us to sit with an uncomfortable situation for awhile just to learn an entirely different lesson: patience, perseverance, compassion, and acceptance. I have not been so good at learning these things when dealing with my own personal battles. I get uncomfortable with my own defects and my own unaccomplished dreams. I get ashamed that I haven't done it all already. What I must take from this is that I have to take each step as they come. And I must be gentle with myself when I choose to take each scary leap of faith.

When I allow myself to take a smaller plate full of things to change in my life, perhaps I will not short out so quickly. Maybe I won't sabotage the progress I have made. Maybe I can accept a steady process of change throughout, instead of a "world-upside-down" change all at once. I still have many many changes I deeply wish to make in myself and my surroundings, but I see the value of taking things just one step at a time. I am going to practice this principle in my life and have faith that God knows the pace that is best for me.

Do you have a hard time pacing yourself? Do you stop dead in your tracks when the thought of everything you "have" to do slaps you in the face? Do you feel ashamed that you haven't accomplished the dreams that you always wanted and feel puzzled when you try to figure out why you haven't finished them yet? Maybe you haven't allowed them to unfold in the time that they were meant to happen. Sometimes patient persistence is that one lesson we haven't quite grasped yet. Let me know how you plan to take that next step in your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment