Friday, January 24, 2014

Mirror Mirror

Mirrors: we're surrounded by them. Not the one in your bathroom, but the one laying beside you in bed, or the one you work with, or your annoying little brother you've had for 20 years. People you interact with on a daily basis are constantly reflecting back to you ideas: some that make you feel like being wrapped in a warm blanket, and others that feel like you are slowly getting your fingernails ripped out. You know the feeling. That one most annoying trait in your best friend. The political viewpoint your co-worker has that you just can't stand listening to. The actions of your mother you observe and think "Doesn't she see how ridiculous she looks??" Well, mirror mirror, that's my reflection there?

Every experience we have is an opportunity to learn. We can choose to be aware and open, or we can choose to be blind and resistant. The mirrors in other people are simply a gift allowing us to learn and grow our self awareness. When we see something in someone we love that causes us to cringe, there is mirror reflecting our own limiting beliefs and shortcomings - if only we choose to see it. It takes a lot of courage and bravery to admit the truth in the mirror, but it is the most valuable tool you could ever learn from. So what is the mirror trying to teach?

There are two basic emotions that I feel when I interact with people: admiration and criticism. Of course, there are all different levels of this emotion but they are always there. When I am admiring a trait someone displays in the mirror, this is my environment affirming something that I like about myself - something I identify with. When I feel criticism, all sorts of nasty emotions and behaviors surface. I typically become defensive. I feel attacked sometimes. And I always feel the other person is wrong. The ironic thing is that mirror is showing me the very trait that I despise is within me. I do not have the ability to change the other person, but I do have the ability to search out that trait within myself and make peace with it. Notice I did not say get rid of it, I said make peace with it. Not all things that seem repulsive are negative. They may simply be uncomfortable and something you have been resisting seeing. Make peace with the things you are most judgmental towards.

The mirrors around you are not judgmental. They are objective and true. See the reflections whether they make you wince or not. Be honest with yourself about what they are telling you. And be gentle with yourself when you become aware of a new truth. Change is wonderful. Commend yourself for being brave enough to be honest and open to your reflections. The beautiful thing is when you accept what your reflection is telling you, you begin to feel love toward the person acting as your mirror. And we could all use a little more love. <3

What are your mirrors telling you? What defects have you been overlooking? How will you respond to your reflections? I would love to know. Start the conversation here or message me at defytheaverage@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment