Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Next Indicated Thing

As a follow up to our discussion about new year's goals, I figured it would be important to talk about the journey to get where we are going. I tend to be a little anxious and get stuck in my head when I think of my "goals." Scary. Why do they seem scary? Because I think of all the changes that need to be made during the entire course of my life and feel like I need to get it all done NOW! Haha! No wonder it makes me anxious...

Over the last few years, I have learned a whole bunch about being present, setting limits, and taking the "next indicated step." It does not come natural to me. I am the type of person that wants to fill my whole plate up right now, get it all done without sleep, rest, or fun, and then someday I'll be happy when it's all done. Talk about living in the future. Today, I am doing my best to give myself a reasonable amount of work to do without sacrificing my self care or happiness in the process. Even if I see a hopelessly large amount of changing to do, I can rest knowing life is in the process - not the outcome. It's the changing that brings joy - so why rush through it?

I enjoy watching my coaching clients make this realization. In the beginning, nearly everyone can't wait to get started making life altering changes as quickly as possible. They want to change careers, change relationships, change lifestyles. All of the change they want is positive however, when the will gets ahead of the universe - we are in for trouble. Rarely do those changes last and they can lead to frustration and heartache in the end. One thing at a time. This world is a sleepy, carefree, and fun environment when we take each step deliberately, one at a time. So, stop trying to leap the staircase and enjoy the scenery. The journey is the joy you are looking for.

So what is the step you are taking deliberately today? I would love to hear your story! Tell me at defytheaverage@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment