Monday, November 28, 2011

Kick Your Fears to the Curb

So I don't know who besides me has trouble with fear, but I have been thinking about it alot lately. There are many choices in my life that have been guided by my fears, insecurities, and doubts. One thing in particular has caught my attention. Follow through. Sometimes I will get the courage up to achieve one of my dreams, only to get eaten up by my fears and doubts. I start listening to people around me who affirm my fears and discourage taking a risk. So I start, but don't complete. This not only is sad that I didn't complete what I set out to do, but it also reaffirms for the next time that "I just can't do it." It makes me feel silly for ever trying. And so the cycle continues. And dreams go on unfinished.

This time, I have started two dreams that scare me. I have applied for an online master's degree program, and I have started a new business that I REALLY enjoy. I am a little scared to succeed at both of them. I have doubts, and I have plenty of people reminding me of how hard it is going to be. It's tempting to quit before I fail. But what if I don't? What if I don't... If I don't fail, but rather succeed, I will be abundantly more fulfilled than with the things I have settled for now AND I will have opened up far more doors for me to follow even bigger dreams. You gotta start somewhere right? The biggest part for me is talking myself through it and convincing myself not to give in to my fears. My fears keep me in a safe bubble of mediocrity. What is the point of choosing a life that is safe but miserable? Is safety really worth all that much? The people in history that have achieved the most were never afraid to lose everything. Why don't we live with that kind of faith? I know that I crave it. And there is no reason not to claim it.

No comments:

Post a Comment