Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why be a Holiday Hater?

In the past few years, I feel that I have really missed out on the holidays due to my attitude. For some reason, I began feeling that the holidays were a nuisance. They just got in the way of my routine, and was just too good to pause my schedule for pesky, feel good, sentimental holidays. I'm not sure exactly when I started feeling a little too good for the holidays, all I know is that I robbed myself of a lot of serenity each year that I could have been simply enjoying the blessings God had given me.

This year, I have decided to have an open mind about the holidays. And you know what? I think it is pretty awesome that we have a whole holiday to focus on what we are grateful for! Too often I get caught up in complaining and whining about what I don't have and what isn't going my way. Funny thing is, I used to whine about the holidays more than anything... isn't that ironic? Why is it that I have such a hard time being thankful for what I DO have and what IS working in my favor? So this year, Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be a time of reflection and gratitude for me. I'm going to enjoy putting up the Christmas tree that stayed in the garage last year. I'm going to make pies and hot chocolate. I'm going to listen to Christmas music. It's crazy to me that I used the holidays as an excuse to grumble even more than usual! How absurd! It feels good to find enjoyment in every situation I am given, especially the ones that were never meant to be bad in the first place. How are you choosing to feel about the holidays this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment